Scholarships for Sport
Working in partnership with the University of Chester, there are a number of Sports Scholarships available to current and aspiring young athletes to support their support their sporting needs whilst studying.
Applicants would be expected to represent the University Centre sports teams at the highest level, where possible and appropriate, as well as contribute to student and community sport. The scholarships are usually offered to students who have gained standard admission to an academic course of study at Shrewsbury on the basis of their academic qualifications. Applicants will be expected to achieve specified sports performance standards. The scholarship can be applied for in all years of study at University Centre Shrewsbury and will be monitored throughout the students' time here.
Applications for sports scholarships may be made by existing and prospective undergraduate or postgraduate students of University Centre Shrewsbury. In order to be eligible for an award, applicants must submit an application form which will normally be expected to demonstrate satisfaction of the following criteria
- Active representation at national / international level in the applicant’s sport. This includes national ranking in a particular sport or actively competing in national leagues / competitions
- Fulfilment of all academic requirements and satisfactory progress being made to the next level of their course by applicants who are existing students
- The unconditional / conditional offer of a place on a full time or part time course of study at University Centre Shrewsbury to applicants who are prospective students.
Scholarships will only be confirmed after enrolment on a course and will be available for a maximum of 3 years as an undergraduate and 1 year as a postgraduate. However, selection on to the scheme is not automatic year on year and all scholars must reapply each year.
Sports scholars will be expected to comply with the requirements of the scheme and with any modifications University Centre Shrewsbury may make to it throughout the period of the scholarship.
- Awards will not exceed £3000 per year for each selected scholar and will be awarded in two instalments. One prior to Christmas and one at the end of February.
- All expenditure needs to be planned and justified with the Director of Sport and recreation.
Other expected benefits
- Mentorship from the Director of Sport and Recreation who will act as a neutral to liaise between the athlete, academic staff, University of Chester and University Centre Shrewsbury authorities
- Access to specific coaching and athlete workshops.
- Sports Scholarship kit.
- Flexibility of study / assessment where competition / academic clashes are unavoidable.
- Links to physiotherapy treatment.
For further information, contact Gordon Reay, Director of Sport, on email@example.com, or call 01244 513311.
|Sport Scholarship application form||572.12 KB|